Most people have seen the Erykah Badu’s cryptic video “Window Seat,” the latest single from her New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh. The Dallas-bred singer admitted stripping down nude was no easy task. “i was petrified while shooting this video … but liberation began to set in .i conquered many fears in that few moments . i am greatful,” she admitted on Twitter. Badu’s posterior may garner her attention, but thinking folks are attempting to decode the message that remains once once everything is striped down. Watch the video and decide what you think it means.
We took it to Twitter and decided to share the best explanations we’ve found, some of which have been co-signed by Badu herself.
1) “i think video is the display of an artist being closed up within themself@1st, then strips layers along the way Once those layers are totally stripped down 4everyone 2see, people want to shoot u down (assassinate you) video is genius..”
2) “the Kennedy association .i didn’t expect u to get shot,but the video appears 2 be about character assassination/individuality”
3) “PEOPLE FEAR WHAT THEY DONT UNDERSTAND! so they shoot 2kill u & ur dreams bkuz u are not like every1 else, the so called REAL!”
4) “it’s inspired by groupthink studies. Individuals all have unique responses but tend to side with popular opinion. I think @fatbellybella is testing us to see if we have our unique interpretation or if we do like those in groupthink.”
5) “the vid erykah aka the non conformist. ‘window seat’ also meaning the caterpillar growing into the butterfly=freedom. the jfk imagery was on point as well. i like the complex simplicity of the vid, it says alot. and the clothing removal was definitely approved. u workin with sum lol. you still got the point across well tho…peace.”
– Honordat Share your explanation!