Despite mixed reviews from critics, Gridiron Gang captured the number one spot at the box office.
The inspirational drama, which stars rapper Xzibit and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as football coaches of a Los Angeles juvenile detention center football team, raked in an estimated $15 million in ticket sales to secure the top position.
Gridiron Gang’s number one opening echoes another recently released football feature, Invincible.
The Mark Wahlberg film, which occupied the
top spot for two weeks, placed sixth by taking in $3.9 million over the weekend, according to reports.
Although profits and attendance have increased since last year, this marks the second consecutive weekend that movie studios have dealt with
less than stellar results at the box office.
The top 10 films for the weekend of Sept. 15-17 read as follows:
1. Gridiron Gang $15 million.
2. The Black Dahlia $10.4 million
3. Everyone’s Hero $6.2 million
4. The Last Kiss $4.7 million
5. The Covenant $4.7 million
6. Invincible $3.9 million
7. The Illusionist $3.8 million
8. Little Miss Sunshine $3.4 million
9. Hollywoodland $2.7 million
10. Crank $2.7 million