C-Murder Coming Home Today, Speaks On Overturned Murder Conviction


Corey "C-Murder"

Miller will officially be a free man in the next 24 hours, as the rapper will

be released from prison today (Mar. 16).

Miller has been

incarcerated since 2002. He is currently being held in the Concordia Parish

Jail in Ferriday, Louisiana, where he has been held since Hurricane Katrina

devastated the city of New Orleans.

The rapper will

be home sometime today after going through processing.

"Its been

a long road but the truth finally came out. I can't wait to go home, see my

people and be up in the studio to finish up my album and focus on my label",

C-Murder said in a statement released to AllHipHop.com through his managers

Barbara Pescosolido and Lupe Ceballos.

Miller was convicted

of second-degree murder in the shooting death of 16-year-old Steven Thomas.

Thomas was shot in the chest after an argument inside of the Platinum Club in

Jefferson Parish, Louisiana in January 2002.

The rapper was

convicted in Sept. of 2003 and sentenced to a mandatory life sentence. He appealed

the case in 2004, after discovering prosecutors had expunged the criminal records

of some of their witnesses and withheld evidence from Miller's defense team.

In 2004, the original

trial judge, Judge Martha Sassone ordered a new trial for Miller in light of

the new evidence.

Prosecutors appealed

Sassone's ruling and in March of 2005, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeal struck

down Sassone's ruling and upheld Miller's second-degree murder conviction.

Miller appealed

the ruling in Feb. 2006 and on Mar. 10, the Louisiana Supreme Court overturned

Miller's murder conviction and ordered a new trial. It is now up to prosecutors

to decide if they want to take Miller to trial again.

The rapper's bond

was set at $500,000 yesterday (Mar. 15), despite a prosecutor's protest that

Miller is a "danger to the community."

Miller was originally

held on $2 million bond in 2002, but it was revoked, after it was learned that

Miller bribed two Jefferson Parish prison officers to smuggle in a cell phone

into prison, which prosecutors said Miller used to intimidate potential witnesses.

"I still think

Mr. Miller is an imminent danger to the community," prosecutor Roger Jordan

told Judge Sassone during yesterday's hearing. "Witnesses fear this defendant.

They were afraid to come to court in the last trial."

Once released,

Miller could be held in Baton Rouge, where he faces two counts of attempted

second-degree murder in a separate case, which is slated to go to trial May


The charges stem

from an incident shortly before Miller was charged with killing Thomas, in which

Miller fired a gun at a nightclub owner and security guard, after he was told

he would be searched entering a nightclub in New Orleans.