(AllHipHop News) The war between rap legends De La Soul and their old record label Tommy Boy Records has come to a tragic ending for hip-hop fans.
De La Soul accused Tommy Boy's boss Tom Silverman of robbing them for years, while hoarding 90% of the profits from their early catalog, leaving the group just 10% to split amongst themselves.
The boycott halted the re-release of the album 3 Feet High And Rising and the long-awaited rollout their other two classic albums: De La Soul Is Dead, and Buhloone Mindstate.
The parties went back to the negotiating table, but today (August 8), De La Soul revealed talks have stalled and they will not be participating in any business related to the reintroduction of their first three albums.
"Well friends, after 30 years of profiting from our music and hard work... and after 7 long months of stalled negotiations, we are sad to say that we’ve been unable to reach an agreement and earn Tommy Boy’s respect for our music/legacy," the group said in a statement today.
The group was getting ready to commemorate the 30th anniversary of their groundbreaking release 3 Feet High and Rising, but the plans were abruptly scrapped over a business conflict with Tommy Boy's Founder, Tom Silverman.
De La Soul is encouraging fans to continue a boycott of their early releases until they reached an agreement with Silverman, which has not happened.
"With some helpful consulting and long careful consideration, we’ve decided we will not do our 30+ years the disservice of settling on Tom Silverman’s terms," the group members of De La Soul said in the joint statement.
"Tommy Boy says they are 'not in the business of giving artists back their Masters.' We realize, there is a process in reclaiming ownership but we do not trust Tommy Boy in this process after so many years of disappointment. Therefore, our catalog will not see the light of day by way of our involvement or consent.
"This means, if you see De La Soul music/albums available for streaming or purchase anywhere, BE AWARE, all parties involved WILL profit but De La Soul WILL NOT benefit or earn deservedly/fairly. We really tried. More details to come," De La Soul told fans.