(AllHipHop News) Yancey Media Group (YMG) a subsidiary of Ruff Draft Records, led by Maureen “Ma Dukes” Yancey and Jonathon “JT” Taylor, has announced the official release of The Rebirth of Detroit, a full-length album from the late Detroit Hip-Hop producer, James “J Dilla” Yancey.
The original tracks were mastered with new lyrics and music by over 30 Detroit artists including Chuck Inglish, Boldy James, Danny Brown, Illa J, Guilty Simpson, Tha Almighty Dreadnaughtz, Moe Dirdee, LaPeace, Loe Louis, and many more.
YMG hopes the The Rebirth of Detroit can showcase not only J Dilla's legendary talent, but also help stimulate "the future of Detroit’s cultural economy."
With the upcoming release on Tuesday, June 12, Ma Dukes and her business partner, Jonathon Taylor, look to continue reclaiming her son’s prolific yet complicated musical legacy after his untimely death due to complications with Lupus and a rare blood disease in 2006.
“I named this project The Rebirth of Detroit because there will be no more outsourcing of Detroit soul and culture as in the recent past,” said Taylor, YMG's CEO.
In holding true to J Dilla's goal to resurrect Detroit, all of YMG and its recording company’s productions will be created, engineered, mixed, mastered, and printed in Detroit.
YMG’s Ruff Draft Records will release the complete The Rebirth of Detroit album on June 12 in CD format through www.FatBeats.com and its retail outlets worldwide, as well as in digital download format online through iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody, and all other major digital retailers.
In addition, the 12” vinyl LP of The Rebirth of Detroit will be available in Fall or Winter 2012.
Remaining true to Detroit and Dilla's love of vinyl records, a very limited number of white label pressings of select tracks from the vinyl album were released for sale through Kenny Dixon Jr. a.k.a. Moodymann’s Detroit-based Mahogani Music imprint during Movement Festival 2012 over Memorial Day Weekend, and at The Rebirth of Detroit official listening party at The Magic Stick on May 25.
Inquiries into purchasing this limited edition pressing of the “DILLATROIT/REBIRTH” EP, which will be released in late June, can be made through the Mahogani Music website.
The limited edition 10” vinyl single of “Jay Dee’s Revenge” with Danny Brown and DJ DEZ, and the single “Birthright” with Big Tone, Guilty Simpson, and Finale were released on May 25.
Fans and record collectors may also purchase all music released on Ruff Draft Records directly at www.officialjdilla.com, where other multimedia by and about J Dilla will also be made available in the coming months.
Below is a complete tracklisting for The Rebirth of Detroit:
1. “The New Installment” (Intro)
2. “Detroit Madness” with Phat Kat
3. “Big Thangs” with Esham
4. “Ride With It” with Tha Almighty Dreadnaughtz
5. “Say My Name” with LaPeace, Moe Dirdee and Seven The General
6. “Detroit Game” with Chuck Inglish (COOL KIDS) and Boldy James
7. “Feel this Shit” with KetchPhraze
8. “City of Boom” with Loe Louis and Beej
9. “Let’s Pray Together” with Amp Fiddler
10. “Requiem” with Allan Barnes (The Blackbyrds)
11. “Do It Right” with Fat Ray, VStylez and Soul Man (A.W.O.L.)
12. “My Victory” with Boldy James
13. “Rebirth is Necessary” with Tone Plummer and Mr. Wrong
14. “DILLATROIT” with Supa Emcee, Nick Speed and Guilty Simpson
15. “Center of The Movement” with 5ELA ft. Pierre Anthony
16. “Pitfalls” with Fat Ray, LaPeace and Loe Louis
17. “Do It For Dilla Dawg” with Illa J and Frank Nitt (CAKE BOYS)
18. “Jay Dee’s Revenge” with Danny Brown ft. DJ DEZ
19. “Motor City Sparks” with Corey Sparks and Beej
20. “House Shoes Was Spinnin” with Quelle Chris
21. “The Best That Ever Did It” with Jon C and Allan Barnes (The Blackbyrds)