(AllHipHop News) Ja Rule's lawyer has defended the rapper's involvement with the disastrous Fyre Festival at a New York court hearing on Tuesday.
The "Always on Time" musician, real name Jeffrey Atkins, is fighting a series of lawsuits over the abandonment of the event, which was due to be held on the island of Great Exuma in The Bahamas earlier this year.
The 41-year-old rapper signed up as a co-founder of the festival alongside social media entrepreneur Billy McFarland, who earlier this month pleaded not guilty to charges of wire fraud and making false statements to a bank.
According to editors at the New York Daily News, the hip-hop star's attorney Thomas Herndon told Manhattan Federal Court Judge Kevin Castel that McFarland "ran the show" and Ja Rule "got wrapped up in this unintentionally".
Herndon said that his client’s ideas were "hijacked" by McFarland, who he alleges presided over the farcical festival.
As well as the chance to watch acts including Ja Rule, Blink-182, Migos, and Major Lazer, ticket holders who paid up to $12,000 to attend were promised luxury accommodation and catering but arrived on the island to find the festival site was only half built.
Those who made it to Great Exuma were then left stranded for hours waiting to evacuate the island.
Disgruntled festivalgoers have filed a class action lawsuit against Ja Rule and McFarland.
The 25-year-old Fyre Media boss was arrested in June following an FBI investigation
In the days following the festival, the rapper issued a personal apology but denied being at fault for the debacle.