Jussie Smollett Denies Paying To Set Up Hate Attack As Mystery Grows

The actor is adamant he had nothing to do with orchestrating his own assault.

(AllHipHop News) Police officials in Chicago, Illinois want to re-interview Empire star Jussie Smollett about his alleged assault after receiving new information about the incident.

Brothers Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundairo were detained by cops on Thursday and after initially insisting the men were people of interest, they were later described as “potential suspects.”

Ironically, both men are Nigerian and Smollett described his attackers as white.

He claimed they beat him up outside his apartment in Chicago on January 29, tied a rope noose around his neck and poured a bleach-like liquid over him, while hurling racist and homophobic slurs.

The two brothers were released without charge late on Friday, and now Chicago Police Department officials have released a statement, revealing the investigation has shifted to the Empire star himself.

“We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has, in fact, shifted the trajectory of the investigation,” the statement read. “We’ve reached out to the Empire cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.”

Lawyers for Smollett were contacted by law enforcement officials on Saturday afternoon. And now Jussie is angered he is still being blamed.

"As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with. He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack," Jussie's lawyer said in a statement. "Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying.

The statement came after police bosses confirmed the Osundairo brothers had been released from police custody without charge on Friday night.

Abimbola Osundairo has appeared as an extra on Smollett’s TV drama Empire.

Jussie Smollett described his alleged attack in detail during a show at the Troubadour in Los Angeles on February 2, telling fans he fought back against his assailants and chased them off.

He also called himself "the Gay Tupac."

Jussie previously handed over redacted phone records to police officials in a bid to help them with their investigation, but they were rejected as they were unusable as evidence.

Jussie Smollett also appeared on TV news show Good Morning America and told interviewer Robin Roberts he felt he was attacked because of his public stance against U.S. leader Donald Trump.

Comments