Mac Da Assassin Convicted
Limit star Mckinley "Mac Da Assassin"
Phipps was convicted Friday of manslaughter in the shooting
of 19-year-old Barron Victor Jr. at a New Orleans club
last year, despite the claims from another man, who claims
he fired the bullet.
for 7 hours and voted 10-2 for manslaughter. Mac was spared
the more serious charge of second-degree murder, which
is what he went on trial for. Mac is facing up up to 40
years behind bars when he is sentenced November 12th.
has been served," the victim's father, Barron Victor
Sr., said as he left the courtroom.
verdict was read and jurors left the courtroom, 24 year
old Mac put his head on the defense table and cried as
his lawyers attempted to console him. "There's a
kid who has never done anything wrong in his life, never
violated a law, who was convicted of a crime he didn't
commit," defense attorney Jason Williams told the
New Orleans newspaper the Times Picayune. Williams argued
that Mac's violent stage image was pure entertainment.
"There wasn't one piece of evidence linking him to
the crime or a reason or a motive. And he cried like a
kid after the verdict," Williams continued.
that the wrong man was placed on trial, noting the confession
of Thomas Williams, an in-law of Mac and an employee of
Camouflage Entertainment. He told police that he was the
one who shot Victor. Although he didn't testify at the
trial, the DA played his videotaped confession to the
police, which was taken a week after the shooting at the
now defunct Club Mercedes.
weapon was never found.