No Hip Hop Albums Among Top Ten Sellers Of 2014
(AllHipHop News) It has been a down year for every genre of music as far as albums sales (decline of 11% overall), but it was particularly a tough year at the stores for Hip Hop LPs. The final sales numbers show that not a single rap album broke into the top ten for the year.
[ALSO READ: Vinyl Sales Hit All-Time High In 2014]
Taylor Swift earned the crown for the best-selling album of 2014. The country/pop singer's 1989 beat out the Frozen soundtrack - 3.66 million to 3.53 million. 1989 and Frozen were two of only four albums to sell over one million copies during the calendar year.
The other two platinum-selling projects were Sam Smith's In the Lonely Hour with 1.21 million and Pentatonix's That's Christmas To Me with 1.14 million. Beyoncé's self-titled album has totaled 2.2 million units sold dating back to its December 13, 2013 release.
The top-selling rap albums for 2014 include J. Cole's 2014 Forest Hills Drive (577,000), Iggy Azalea's The New Classic (485,000) and Nicki Minaj's The Pinkprint (300,000). Rap's best sellers of 2013 were Eminem's The Marshall Mathers LP 2 (1.73 million, 2nd for the year), Drake's Nothing Was The Same (1.34 million, 7th), and Jay Z's Magna Carta Holy Grail (1.1 million, 10th).
The Top Selling Albums Of 2014:
1. Taylor Swift - 1989 (3.66 million)
2. Soundtrack - Frozen (3.53 million)
3. Sam Smith - In the Lonely Hour (1.21 million)
4. Pentatonix - That's Christmas To Me (1.14 million)
5. Soundtrack - Guardians of the Galaxy (898,000)
6. Beyoncé - Beyoncé (878,000)
7. Barbra Streisand - Partners (856,000)
8. Lorde - Pure Heroine (841,000)
9. One Direction - Four (814,000)
10. Eric Church - The Outsiders (811,000)