Patti LaBelle has long been respected for her cooking skills and, of course, her legendary singing career. As the author of her own best-selling cook books, Patti has given the world some of the most delicious recipes you can imagine. If you've ever tried her "Over The Rainbow" Macaroni & Cheese, then you already know the deal.
On a very important note, Ms. Patti has been very conscious of offering healthy recipes since she was diagnosed with Diabetes. She is open in speaking to people about the importance of getting checked for Diabetes, and urges everyone to not wait until a celebrity says "go see the doctor."
So exactly what will you find on Patti's holiday spread? How did Martha Stewart get her to like parsnips? Why can't you eat just anyone's potato salad? In this exclusive AllHipHop video interview, the soul icon gets up close and personal with some holiday tips, a bit of important health advice and some insight to her impressive culinary expertise.
Over The Rainbow Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
from Labelle Cuisine: Recipes To Sing About
[Editors Note: You'll have to check out Patti's advice on how to make this "lite" - because this Mac & Cheese is no joke! Delicious!]
1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 pound elbow macaroni 8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon butter 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Muenster cheese 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded mild cheddar cheese 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack 2 cups half-and-half 1 cup (8 ounces) Velveeta, cut into small cubes 2 large eggs, lightly beaten 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a deep 2 and a half quart casserole.
2. Bring a large pot of slated water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the elbow macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.
3. In a small saucepan, melt 8 tablespoons of the butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the Muenster, mild and sharp cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half-and-half, 1-1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and the eggs. Season with the salt and pepper.
4. Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
5. Bake until it's bubbling around the edges, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
For more information on Patti LaBelle's books and music, go to www.pattilabelle.com