America’s most loved beagle, Snoopy, is celebrating his birthday today, and he looks GREAT for a 253 year old (in dog years)! In the past years, Snoopy has had a major influence on Hip Hop from rappers incorporating his antics into their lyrics to being the IT cartoon in Hip Hop fashion, Snoopy is one down dog! Here are the top 5 Snoopy references in Hip Hop we feel you should know about.
5. “In this b*tch all drinks on the house like Snoopy” – “Lord Knows” by Drake
Drake’s been known to drop some rhymes and lyrics not EVERYONE can do as seen when he mentions Snoopy in “Lord Knows.” He makes it known he has no problem picking up the tab for his squad in this line.
4. FACT: Snoop Dogg is named after Snoopy!
His stage name was inspired by, his childhood nickname, Snoopy. As a boy, his parents nicknamed him “Snoopy” because of his appearance, but they usually addressed him as Calvin at home.
3. Iceberg Snoopy. This sweater and other Iceberg designs, became a mainstay in the Hip Hop world so much that it was part of rappers wardrobe and lyrics by Jay Z.
“I got em Iceberg sh*t they thought I knew Snoopy” – Snoopy Track by Jay-Z
Raekwon seen here rocking the Snoopy Iceberg sweater in the “John Blaze” video.
2. That time Snoop was down with the “Bro Code”
Snoopy is abiding by the ever-so-powerful “Bro Code,” the sacred code held between bros. “To break code with one of your Bros is a blasphemous, sacrilegious, and high Bro treason,” according to the Urban Dictionary.
1. Artist Mark Drew’s exhibition mixes Charlie Brown and the gang with classic ’90s Hip Hop lyrics.
Snoopy and the full PEANUTS gang can be seen November 6th in THE PEANUTS MOVIE. True Hip Hop Snoopy fans can also #DrawSnoopy with tips from The Peanuts Movie Director, Steve Martino, and share on social media for a repost from @PeanutsMovie.