Hip-Hop proved its
popularity in the world of cell phones again, dominating the top-sellers on a
new service being offered by T-Mobile called Caller Tunes.
Caller Tunes is
part of a new service being tested in the United States by major cell phone
service allows customers to replace the ringing sounds callers hear when someone
dials their number.
the top ten most purchased Caller Tunes, Hip-Hop accounted for seven, including
two tracks by Lil Jon & The Eastside Boys and his affiliated group Crime
The other three
entries came from Marvin Gaye, Beyonce and Christina Aguilera.
announced deals with Warner Music Group and Sony BMG to offer music from the
label’s roster of artists as ringback tones.
Verizon’s service, which currently being tested in California, pay .99
cents a month and $1.99 per ringback.
Record labels are
hoping to cash in on the ringtone business as well.
Artists and publishers
make money when a simple, digital recreation of their song is used, whereas
“mastertones” utilize the actual recording, making the label eligible
will be a much bigger business," Edgar Bronfman Jr., CEO of Warner Music
Group told investors Monday. “We’re not so dependent on being a hit-driven
from cellphones are expected to hit almost $1.5 billion dollars within the next
Top 10 Caller Tunes are listed below:
1. Lil Jon &
the East Side Boyz – Get Low
2. Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz – What You Gon’ Do
3. Crime Mob (Featuring Lil’ Scrappy) – Knuck If You Buck
4. Ludacris – I’m Here To Soothe You
5. Xzibit – You’ve Been Officially Pimped (Ringback)
6. Sir Mix-A-Lot – Baby Got Back
7. Marvin Gaye – Sexual Healing
8. Christina Aguilera -Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
9. Crime Mob (Featuring Miss Aisha) – Stillettos (Pumps)
10. Beyonce – Baby Boy (f. Sean Paul)