AllHipHop.com News  

Hip-Hop Summit Action Network Cancels August 30 Rally

russell-2

The Hip-Hop Summit

Action Network announced today (August 25) that they were canceling a protest

of the Rockefeller Drug Laws in New York, scheduled to coincide with the Republican

National Convention.

“As we began

negotiations with the New York City Police Department for an August 30 permit

to march and rally on the first day of the Republican National Convention, we

were informed of other organizations, such as Still We Rise, who also wanted

to march or assemble on that date,” HSAN said in a statement. “We

readily agreed to file a joint application with the New York City Police Department

for the Hip-Hop Summit Action Network and Still We Rise. Thus, the formal name

of what was planned for August 30 became the March on New York: Still We Rise.”

The non-profit

said that increased security concerns and other events led to the cancellation.

“Regrettably,

due to increased security measures and safety concerns around the Republican

National Convention and the timing of the MTV Video Music Awards in Miami where

a number of the leading hip-hop artists will be, the Hip-Hop Summit Action Network

has decided not to participate in the March on New York: Still We Rise. The

large-scale march that we had originally planned, given these circumstances,

is not now feasible. We wish, however, the Still We Rise Coalition all the best

for success in their mobilization, march and assembly on August 30th and the

Hip-Hop Summit Action Network will make a donation to Still We Rise in support

of them for their march. HSAN looks forward to continuing its work to increase

public awareness around the unfairness of the Rockefeller Drug Laws.”

HSAN’s announcement

comes on the heels of a controversial decision by a New York judge, who rejected

a last-minute plea from anti-war activists who were seeking to hold a massive

rally in Central Park.

State Supreme Court

Justice Jacqueline Silbermann ruled that United for Peace and Justice could

not hold a massive rally they were planning the day before the convention starts.

The organization

sued the city last week after the Parks Department claimed the proposed protest

would ruin the park’s lawn.

United for Peace

shot back, saying the park has been used for events of similar magnitude, citing

a Dave Matthews concert that attracted 70,000 people.

The group said

the ruling violated the state Constitution because it allowed cultural events

and not political protests.

Silbermann ruled

in favor of the city, saying they proved "the Great Lawn was not an appropriate

venue for a demonstration of this magnitude."

Over 250,000 people

are expected to protest the Republican National Convention and large numbers

of people are expected to protest in the park anyway.

blog comments powered by Disqus

AllHipHop Archives of Culture

Copyright © 1998 to Infinity, AllHipHop.com, Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. Powered by WordPress.com VIP

AllHipHop.com Today