Jay-Z’s counterclaims filed against singer R. Kelly were reportedly dismissed by a Manhattan judge Monday (May 16) in court.
Jay-Z alleged that Kelly deceived him by reneging on a promise to perform a good show during the duo’s “Best of Both Worlds” tour last year and that Kelly interfered with the tour contract, the Associated Press reported.
Kelly filed a $75 million lawsuit against Jay-Z last November, alleging that the rapper’s associate pepper sprayed the singer as he went on stage for a performance at Madison Square Garden.
The tour’s promoter fired Kelly shortly after the publicized incident.
In court papers, Jay-Z claimed that Kelly filed his lawsuit “to deflect public and media attention from his upcoming felony trial involving an alleged sexual liaison with a 14-year-old child.”
Jay-Z also accused Kelly of “damaging misconduct” during the tour.
According to Kelly’s lawyer, Peter Parcher, State Supreme Court Justice Charles Ramos discarded Jay-Z’s first counterclaim, stating that failure to follow through on a promise is not a breach of contract.
Jay-Z’s second counterclaim was dismissed because the rapper’s court papers failed to indicate exactly how Kelly obstructed the tour contract since Jay-Z decided to continue the tour without Kelly, said Parcher.
Jay-Z’s lawyer, Jonathan Davis, said he plans to file new counterclaims.
Kelly is seeking $15 million in compensatory damages and $60 million in punitive damages.