(AllHipHop News) R&B star Trey Songz’ assault case is heading to trial later this year.
The “Bottoms Up” hitmaker, real name Tremaine Neverson, was arrested for allegedly assaulting a police officer following an onstage meltdown in Detroit, Michigan last year.
Neverson was performing at the city’s Joe Louis Arena in December when sound engineers reportedly threatened to cut off his microphone when he ran past his 11.30pm curfew.
According to reports, the 32-year-old told the crowd he would “go crazy” if he was cut off. He then encouraged the audience to join him in taunting concert bosses by chanting, “Go ahead and cut me off!”
The singer was caught on camera jumping off the stage into the crowd as security staff tried to stop him and he appeared to throw items at police officials.
He also hurled microphones and speakers off the stage, with one object striking a cop on the head.
Neverson was taken into custody for malicious destruction of property and resisting arrest, and was subsequently charged with aggravated assault and assaulting a police officer causing injury.
A spokesperson for the prosecutor’s office told CNN Songz also “struck an officer with his fist causing a concussion.”
He spent the night behind bars and was arraigned in December, when his bail was set at $25,000 .
On Thursday (March 16), the singer appeared via video for a hearing in Wayne County Circuit Court. The judge set a September trial date and a court conference for May 31.
If convicted, the singer could face jail time and significant fines. However, Neverson’s lawyers say there is a “50/50 chance” a plea agreement can be reached, according to The Detroit News.